[Gsll-devel] Status of status.text

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Wed Jul 21 17:36:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Mirko Vukovic <mirko.vukovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Sumant Oemrawsingh <soemraws at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> I second this ;)
>>
>> I fully support this motion. What's the plan of action?
>
> First we start a tweet chain singing praises to Liam.
> Next, facebook
> Third, ..., ok, maybe not.
>
> Fourth, if Liam is the `Liam M Healy' on the Amazon wish list
> (http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/search.html/ref=cm_gift_wl_teaser?type=wishlist&field-lastname=&field-firstname=&_po_type=wishlist&field-name=liam+healy&x=0&y=0),
> we have struck gold.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mirko
>

>> Sumant

If I have a wishlist on Amazon, it's likely more out of date than
status.text!

Seriously, for anyone with C and/or Lisp skills, here's how you can
contribute:  help port some of the GSL tests to GSLL.  The first thing
you need to do is to download the GSL source.  Do the usual building
process, then run "make check".  That will make all the tests and run
them.   Then find the test files, figure out what they do, and port
them.  For example, in gsl/specfunc/test_gamma.c the first
executable line of test_gamma is

  TEST_SF(s,  gsl_sf_lngamma_e, (-0.1, &r), 2.368961332728788655 ,
TEST_TOL0, GSL_SUCCESS);

which got ported to

  (ASSERT-TO-TOLERANCE (LOG-GAMMA -0.1d0) 2.368961332728788655d0 +TEST-TOL0+)

in gsll/tests/gamma.lisp.  There are some definitions in
gsll/test-unit/convert.lisp that help in this porting process.  They
are not loaded with GSLL (requires cl-ppcre, alexandria, and iterate).
They are more geared toward the special function and random
distribution tests, those being the ones that are present in massive
bulk in GSL, but could be useful for other tests.

Some of the GSL tests are fiendishly hard to pull out of source.  I've
found gcc -E useful sometimes; it is a "macroexpand all" for C.

Even if you're just able to identify where and how certain tests are
defined, it would be quite helpful; then it's easier to write the
translation.

Liam

PS.  I've updated status.text be removing obsolete information,
and I did a minor fix to convert.lisp so that it doesn't rely on
a private system I have.  So do another pull before trying
this.