[Gsll-devel] Build error (fsbv)

Jason Nielsen jdn at math.carleton.ca
Wed Jun 24 02:00:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Liam Healy wrote:
> Not so fast...  I'd like to try to come up with a solution that works
> for the major OSes/distrbutions when things are installed in standard
> places.  The :cc-flags is a hack to add a new path; why is it
> necessary?
>
> What version of Linux are you using?
> What library(ies) are you having problems with?
> Are they installed in the system-standard places?
> What files are in the "wrong" place?   Where are they?
>
> As for me, I use Debian.  Everything is installed from the
> distribution, so packages like libffi-dev place the .h files in the
> standard places.  For example,
>
> dpkg -L libffi-dev
> /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/ffi.h
> /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/ffitarget.h
>
> I put (include "ffi.h") in libffi-unix.lisp, and that works.
> My understanding is that almost all distributions conform to the FHS
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ and so this should work on all these
> distributions.  If that is not the case,  I would like to know why.
> I do not know how to provide alternative .h paths, but I can ask on
> the cffi-grovel list if necessary.  I hope it is not necessary; the
> preferred solution is to (include ...) the files in the right place.
>
> Liam

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on a dual quad core 64bit system.  Until recently
I did not have to do any -I magic to include headers but I do now and you
can use the date stamp of my original post as a time-line since before
that I had no trouble with compiling vanilla git pulls using sbcl v1.0.27.
In truth I use a heavily tuned system as I do rather computationally
intensive stuff (this is my test/debug machine):

[4] octopus ~ $:~> locate ffi.h
/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/ffi.h

so in terms of gsll I am fairly sure that everything is in the standard
place.  By the way keep up the good work as gsll is awesome!

Jason