[Gsll-devel] About the naming convention in gsll

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Fri May 16 21:44:48 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 05:02:18PM -0400, Liam Healy wrote:

> amenable to changing it, but I think Zach's suggestion about
> packages is what I intended: you shouldn't really program in
> the GSLL package; make your own package like gsll-user and
> you can do whatever you want.

I would agree.  Putting gsll: before function names is the way to go.

> I don't think copying should be part of the library call because
> the user is compelled to pay a copying penalty which may
> (and should) be minimized by working in foreign arrays throughout

I second that.  In a lot of calculations, many matrices are
intermediate results and will be discarded anyhow, there is little
sense in copying them.

> As a side point, I am working on incorporating
> foreign-friendly arrays, and there is a separate function
> (currently called make-array*) that creates arrays, similar to
> make-array, but the type specification is mandatory.  If
> you are using SBCL, the C array is the CL array;
> if not, the right thing will always happen (once debugged...).

I am looking forward to that...

Tamas