[Gsll-devel] GSLL release preview

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Sat Dec 27 21:35:03 UTC 2008

GSLL users,

I have set up a new repository for GSLL using git.  This repository
contains the latest version, which has undergone considerable change
since the latest version in the subversion repository.  I intend to
release it soon.  Changes include:

- All objects are memory managed (garbage collected), which means they
can have indefinite extent like any other lisp object.  There is no
need to put the object creation in a letm; in fact letm doesn't exist
anymore.  Use let, or defparameter, etc.

- All array (vector and matrix) element types that are supported by
the platform, CL implementation, CFFI, and GSL, are supported by GSLL.

- Arrays on SBCL are native, meaning that they are not copied between
the Lisp side and the C side, but both sides use the same memory
locations.  Thanks to Tamas Papp's foreign-friendly arrays for the
inspiration.

Before making a formal release, I will need to write some
documentation.  However, I thought some people might want to get going
early, so I have set up the repository and anyone can clone it or
download the tarball.  You'll find what is in the documentation
directory partially updated but not totally; however, if you do
(examples) you will see a list of categories, and if you do (examples
name) where name is one of the categories you will get a list of
examples.  Each of those examples is correctly constructed, though
some are designed to give errors.  Please note that the interface for
many functions has changed.

This is the repository project page: http://repo.or.cz/w/gsll.git
To check out your own copy, do
  git clone git://repo.or.cz/gsll.git
and periodically update with
  git pull origin
The page http://common-lisp.net/project/gsll/ will continue to be the
project web page, but for the time being still refers to the old
version.

As always, please use this mailing list to let everyone know how it is
working and any problems.  Posting examples, especially working ones,
is very welcome.  I will be checking in revisions so you should
periodically update.

Liam