[Gsll-devel] What is needed to fix matrix views?

Liam Healy lhealy at common-lisp.net
Fri Apr 11 14:26:41 UTC 2008

Tamas,

I like your ideas on general array views, it seems very standard; I
think what we're all talking about is array slicing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Array_slicing.   I understand and support
the desire to take advantage of everything Lisp has to offer, however,
I would like to maintain compatibility with GSL and other foreign code
to the extent possible where there is an analogous concept
implemented, so we can take advantage of their functions (that's the
idea behind GSLL after all).  It seems to me that FFA should work just
fine.  Perhaps Zach can confirm that GSL's views work the way I expect
in matching your general array views description, then your scheme
should map into GSL's views.  I think your general array views will
give CL access to an underlying "full" array, and GSL's view can be
made to match, and FFA can provide the option that the underlying full
array is one and the same (on SBCL) or properly copied (everywhere
else).

As far as the aref issue goes, I don't see it as a problem.  I
currently define #'maref which could be used as is, or #'aref could be
shadowed out of the CL package if the user desires.  You could even do
this in CL code written by someone else by putting the shadow in the
package definition.

Does this make sense?

Liam