[gsharp-devel] key signatures

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 17 16:40:33 UTC 2005

Robert Strandh <strandh at labri.fr> writes:

> Christophe Rhodes writes:
>  > * the first element added to each staff needs to be a key signature.
>  >   This should probably be made to happen by default (and be an
>  >   undeletable element);
>
> I would rather it would not be mandatory but have an staff with no
> explicit key signature start out in C major.  This rule would make it
> easier to use Gsharp for tiny snippets used in text books.  In fact,
> the same could be said for the clef.

Right.  The current implementation of this makes a staff have a key
signature which is in effect if there is no other key signature on
that staff.

I'm attaching my current diff, which covers all but two cases, I
believe.  The two remaining pieces are

* drawing the current key signature, not necessarily the staff's, in
  draw-staff-and-clef (via the function passed to
  new-map-over-obseq-subsequences in draw-buffer);

* when two or more layers share a staff, we will only find the right
  key signature for elements in the key signature's layer.

Apart from solving these, the interface/protocol needs documenting and
renaming: there is a need for a key-signature element distinct from
the keysig seven-element array.  Then, of course, the element needs to
be made durationless, and aware of its graphical extent...

Still, here it is; by all means have a play.