[gsharp-devel] redraw buglets

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 19 15:10:17 UTC 2004

Robert Strandh <strandh at labri.fr> writes:

> Christophe Rhodes writes:
>  > There is still visible flicker in the two right-hand panes, though.
>
> Ah yes.  Those should be done the same way.
>
>  > As I understand it, the top right hand pane (the input state) should
>  > only need to be redrawn if the input state changes, but apparently
>  > it's being redrawn on every command.
>
> True.  It does not cost very much to always redraw it (in case the
> command was one to change the input state), but yes, it could be
> optimized by using pane-needs-redisplay (or something like that).
>
>  > Similarly, the current element pane is redrawn rather often;
>  > admittedly the current element changes more often than the input
>  > state, but maybe the staff lines don't need to be redrawn each time?
>
> I am sure there are many optimizations to implement, but I am not sure
> it will make a big difference.

Right.  The major optimization, from a look-and-feel point of view, is
I think the double-buffering, eliminating the flickery feel which
catches the attention of the user.

> I would like to know what makes redrawing an entire page of the
> score around a second.  Once I find that, I could try to figure out
> how to speed up the entire thing.  At this point, I do not know
> whether it has to do with Gsharp, McCLIM, or CLX.

Can you give me instructions on what you're doing to trigger the
redraw?  Alternatively, you may wish to try this running under the
statistical profiler provided by sbcl -- loaded with (require
:sb-sprof).

Cheers,

Christophe