[gsharp-devel] Problem of second gsharp

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 22:52:15 UTC 2004

Hi,

There's a problem when running the second (and subsequent) gsharps of
any given session.  The problem arises, I think, because of too much
state maintenance, but I'm not sure whose fault it is -- gsharp's, or
the CLIM CLX backend.

To reproduce the problem,
  (gsharp::run-gsharp)
  c ] d [
  Quit (from menu or interactor)
  (gsharp::run-gsharp)
  c ] d [
at this point, you will hit the debugger.  What's happening is that
the pixmap held in *lighter-gray-progressions* and
*darker-gray-progressions* is cached from the first gsharp run, and
the copy-from-pixmap from the second gsharp is confused because the X
display of the first gsharp (presumably associated in some way with
the pixmap in question) is closed.

So, firstly, whose fault is this?  And secondly, if it is a problem in
gsharp, where is best to deal with it?  Should these caches be
maintained per-frame, or per-score-pane?  I guess per-frame, since
that's effectively how they were treated before...

Cheers,

Christophe