[graphic-forms-devel] graphic-forms

Michael Jung jung at mijn-design.de
Mon Sep 4 17:26:51 UTC 2006

At 19:15 04.09.2006, you wrote:
>On 9/4/06, Michael Jung <jung at mijn-design.de> wrote:
>>
>>Hello Jack,
>>
>>At 17:55 04.09.2006, you wrote:
>>
>> >OK, that's helpful info. Check your taskbar and see if in fact a window
>> >did get created but at the bottom of the desktop Z-order instead of
>> >the top. I notice this happening no matter whether I use SBCL or
>> >CLISP, and it has something to do with the console window. Whereas,
>> >if I run an application delivered as an executable, the window appears
>> >as you would normally expect.
>>
>>It looks as if no window is created at all, nothing in the taskbar.
>
>If it were me at this point, I would start sprinkling debug statements
>around to try to find out more info. I would do this with Alastair's
>hello.lisp since it is such a small amount of code to work with.
>Check that REGISTERCLASSEX is not returning zero, and that
>CREATEWINDOW is returning a non-null foreign pointer. Check
>that his WINDOW-PROCEDURE function is getting called,
>and print out the argument values, so that you can see what
>events get processed.

Ok, I know what you mean, but that will take some time. In nearly
any other language I would have done it already, but Lisp is ... different ;-)
and I have to learn so much

>If those debug statements indicate everything is succeeding,
>but you still don't see any window, then I would suggest installing
>a Spy utility (I use Winspector Spy) so that you can check whether
>the window is getting created but not being made visible. Alastair's
>window classname is "hello".

I have a Spy software around and can check

>Is it safe to assume that you don't have any desktop mods or
>virtual desktops or anything of that sort?

No, nothing.  I'm thinking of setting up a plain new VM just
for training on Lisp development just in case any of my other
environments is causing troubles.

Michael Jung