[fomus-devel] :harpsichord

David Psenicka dpsenick at uiuc.edu
Wed May 23 21:18:22 UTC 2007

Sorry for the long delay!--You can do this when you specify an
instrument for a part (this would go in the input file):

PART 1 :name "Harpsichord" :instr (:harpsichord :staves 1 :clefs
(:treble :bass))

the (:treble :bass) is unnecessary because it's the default for that
instrument anyways (those are the possible clefs for that
instrument)--the :staves 1 modifies it so there's only one staff

You can also put in a line like this:

INIT :instruments ((MAKE-INSTR :myinst :clefs (:treble :bass) :staves 2
:minp nil :maxp nil :simultlim nil :tpose 0 :cleflegls 2 :8uplegls nil
:8dnlegls nil :percs nil :midiprgch-im nil :midiprgch-ex nil))

which defines an instrument with ID :myinst that's added to the
predefined list (those are all of the options, you probably only need to
specify :clefs and :staves).

Also, you can put something like this in a file named .fomus in your
home directory:

:instruments (list (make-instr :myinst :clefs '(:treble :bass) :staves 2
:minp nil :maxp nil :simultlim nil
                :tpose 0 :cleflegls 2 :8uplegls nil :8dnlegls nil :percs
nil :midiprgch-im nil :midiprgch-ex nil))

This adds :myinst to the predefined list everytime fomus loads (also you
can override existing instrument by using the same ID--if you call it
:harpsichord it will override the existing :harpsichord)--you can put as
many (make-instr ...) calls inside the enclosing (list ...)

The development branch has an almost working :staff mark (you use it by
specifying (:staff 1) in each note or (:startstaff- 1) then :endstaff-
over a range of notes)--it's  "almost" working because it's still
stubborn about certain things (like when only one or two notes cross
staves)...  but at any rate the :staff mark should be usable at this point