[fomus-devel] line break error ?

David Psenicka dpsenick at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 12 22:09:19 UTC 2006

Rob Canning wrote:
> hi again,
>
> when writing to [textfile] in pd, pd  sticks in a line break when a line gets too long
>
> fomus doesnt like this
>
> eg.
>
> note 2 :off 4.25 :dur 0.25 :note 63 :marks (:portato :accent :PP);
> is fine
>
> note 2 :off 4.25 :dur 0.25 :note 63 :marks (:portato :accent :PP :marcato);
>
> where the marcato is on the next line
> gives this error
>
> ;;; *****ERROR*****
> ;; End-of-File on #<String-Input Stream>
>
> maybe it should be that fomus only percives a line break when it sees a ;

It should give a more informative error (the "file" is one line of text
that was read in).  I've added in support for a "\" character that will
tell fomus to continue reading the next line of text before parsing
(will be in the next update).

I'll have to think about how to add end-of-line delimiter,
though--fomus/Lisp recognizes ";"s as comment marks, so I might choose a
different character for this, or just have fomus look for the "note" or
"init" or "part" marker at the beginning of line and only begin parsing
new lines when it sees this (this seems more appealing to me)...  I'll
try to get this in the next update--I've been working lately on
improving the command-line interface in general.

Also, BTW if anyone happened to run into this working w/ input files,
I've removed any need to use Lisp formats like "#S(fm:instr ..." or
"#Z(fm:timesig ..." to define objects in certain places (pretty
confusing and ugly-looking, and only a Lisp programmer would guess to
specify something like that).  I'll update the docs to reflect all these
changes.

Thanks,

-David