[fetter-devel] Verrazano tests do not generate correct CFFI bindings?

Zach elzacho at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 00:29:42 UTC 2008

Hello, I am new to verrazano, although I have been wanting to play with it
for a while.  After a bit of fiddling, I believe I was able to get verrazano
running (there were some mysterious problems).  However, upon trying the
examples, I find that there are still some problems.  If it matters: SBCL
1.0.17 on OS X, gccxml 0.9, vzn pulled from darcs on 7-1-2008.

I tried building posix bindings (the only ones that come close to working
for me) and I get this line in the file it produces,

(cffi::defctype _-darwin-uuid-t :unsigned-char :count 16)

Which is not what CFFI expects (it's lambda list is something like (name
type &optional documentation)).  If I ignore the warning at the top of the
file and edit this line to look like,

(cffi::defctype _-darwin-uuid-t :unsigned-char)

Things do work at least to some degree.  Not sure how well they are supposed
to work.  For example, the posix test has posix:o-rdonly in it.  It seems
that is the mode we are opening the file in, read only.  I suppose this
should be a numeric constant.  However, that symbol is unbound in my
crippled posix package.

Here is what I have tried:  Various odd problems were due to bugs in the
dependencies (i.e. I was using the snapshot of alexandria off cliki (from
2007), which breaks verrazano) and using gccxml 0.5 seems to cause several
mysterious problems which manifest as unbound slots later on (upgrading to
0.9 seemed to fix these issues).  I have the CVS version of CFFI, (I
downloaded a autogenerated tarball from 2008-6-15).  Looking in the archives
I saw that someone suggest pulling from loliviera's CFFI branch, but looking
at the darcs tree I see that defctype is similarly defined.

Does any one know where I went wrong?  Is there a list of known issues I can
look at?  Is there any output you would like that will help you diagnose?

Zach