[fetter-devel] [Fwd: Re: Verrazano rising?]

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 22:41:56 UTC 2006

Luís Oliveira wrote:

> On 12/14/06, Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com> wrote:

Do you mean front-end? As in input? Backends would be outputs, UFFI vs
CFFI for example (tho a bad one since CFFI has eclipsed UFFI (tho I see
KR has just released an upgrade)).

> For instance, it would be nice to have a
> backend that parses the OpenGL specs (we have some of that in
> cl-opengl already)

What added value do those specs offer? (Asking, not arguing.) Is it that
we do not have the source to OpenGL, so we need something else to tell
us how various parameters are used? Makes sense.

> and something that uses or mimics Smoke.

I will have to look at that again, did not quite get the drift.

Vzn is designed, IIRC, to have an intermediate representation formed by
reading gcc_xml output, used to produce bindings. So your idea could
work, just make a diff front-end to read the OpenGL specs to produce or
enrich the intermediate representation, which I am getting tired of
typing and will call UCL (Universal C api descriptor Language). We have
talked all along about leveraging work done on SWIG that hardcodes api
stuff, and I had great fun with the Antlr parser getting right down into
the C source (where we could look for str* functions operating on
strings or assigning to dereferenced parameter pointers)... haha, talk
about metaprogramming and macros and processing source. :)

kenny tilton