[fetter-devel] More on overloaded C++ functions -> Lisp ???

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 21:42:40 UTC 2005

Rayiner Hashem wrote:

>Hey! I didn't think about doc strings. That's a good idea. I'll
>implement that right now.

Another trick is to manifest the arg type in the arg name:

(cl:defun FTFont-Render (this wchar-string)...)

(cl:defun FTFont-Render-1 (this char-string)...)

Then when a helpful IDE shows the completion of a function invocation
one is learning the type as well. I guess this is not so good where the
info one needs most is the semantics, such as a make-box function that
takes four integers but one can never remember the order (usually left,
top, right, bottom). And on reflection, I guess I am normally worried
about semantics not type at that point.

Anyway, the doc-string will be fine.

kt