[fetter-devel] That's what I get II

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 27 00:19:08 UTC 2005

Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Just sharing a war story: the bulk of the GLUT symbols did not get
> emitted because freeglut.h just includes freeglut_std.h and
> freeglut_ext.h. <g> So my idea that vzn should emit only symbols named
> in listed headers kinda got in the way. I turned around and listed the
> two internal headers redundantly in the defbinding.

This is getting worse. FTGL gets us into C++-land, where we tend to find
separate headers for each class. My binding file now looks like this:

(defbinding "ftgl-library"
    (nicknames "ftgl")
  (include
    "FTFont.h"
    "FTGLBitmapFont.h"
    "FTGLExtrdFont.h"
    "FTGLOutlineFont.h"
    "FTGLPixmapFont.h"
    "FTGLPolygonFont.h"
    "FTGLTextureFont.h"
    "FTGlyph.h"
    "FTGLBitmapGlyph.h"
    "FTGLExtrdGlyph.h"
    "FTGLOutlineGlyph.h"
    "FTGLPixmapGlyph.h"
    "FTGLPolygonGlyph.h"
    "FTGLTextureGlyph.h"
    ))

This could get to be a nightmare for a huge library such as a GUI. OK,
"nightmare" is a little strong, especially compared to what it is like
to hand-code bindings. <g> And I do not think there is any way for vzn
to determine on its own "oh, that nested include does not add to the
API", nor do I think we want to include all of windows in every win32
binding file.

jes' thinkin out loud.

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
    Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950