[fetter-devel] Couple of probably silly questions

Rayiner Hashem rayiner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 20:31:03 UTC 2005

> a)  If a library on (say) Windows has been compiled with Visual C++,
> and another with gcc in mingw, will I be able to access the
> functionality of both binary C++ libraries from Lisp and use both in
> the same application?

Yes. Since the ABI details are embedded into the bindings, the ABI is
per-binding, not per-application.

> b)  Has anyone yet taken a crack at QT, or will that need the retooled
> C++ support?

QT isn't regular C++ code. Its header files, as well as any programs
that use it, are not regular C++. VZN could bind to the MOC-processed
headers, but since there is no "MOC for Lisp", Lisp programs couldn't
use the resulting library comfortably. This problem is solvable, as
Python has rather good Qt bindings, and Vzn would likely make the task
easier, but significant extra work will be required.

> c)  Does anybody know what the current status of GCL support?  Is
> anybody still working on it or is GCL too far out of spec right now to
> be able to have any chance of handling it?

GCL could likely run Verrazano, but I think the problem is that it
can't run C-FFI.