[cffi-devel] Re: [fetter-devel] Quick CFFI update

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 18:14:20 UTC 2005

C Y wrote:

>--- Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>>No worries :-).  Irrelevant discussion is often a severe drag on
>>>getting stuff done,
>>>

>>The funny thing is that I also want project developers to get input
>>from the community via c.l.l, Planet Lisp, and #Lisp. Talk about a
>>potential for irrelevant discussion.... :)
>>

>Oh, my. ;-)  Well, no question there are a lot of smart people there.

That is my thinking. The expected noise can simply be ignored, a feature
of Usenet too few take advantage of.

>Here's what I've dug up so far (links provided for the lazy, which will
>be me when I get the time to read all this):

That's the stuff.

>Clisp:
>http://clisp.cons.org/impnotes/dffi.html - is this the new spiffy one?

Yes.

>Nice.  Oh, I had a question about Lilac (is that on topic or reserved
>for later?)

Lilac got beat out by Fetter, which will be doing the autogen thing.

> Auto-generation of bindings would be a godsend for people
>wanting to use FFIs, but the first thought that came to my mind was
>"how do I know what's available to be called, and what call syntax got
>auto-generated?"

Fetter will generate a Lisp source file of bindings, so you can just
peruse that to see how the Lisp turned out. But, yes, in the end the
documentation of the C library will be what you need. What gets
interesting is how things like booleans are handled. The C zero/non-zero
becomes the Lisp nil/non-nil and vice versa. What will likely happen is
that the FFI will generate two entry points, one without auto-conversion
of booleans and strings, etc, and one with. So anyone using these tools
to get to C/C++ libraries will need to read a little doc to get up to
speed on that.

>using something like Albert to absorb any C++ comments and attach them
>to auto-generated documentation of each resulting lisp functions
>arguments and limitations?

I for one did think of that, but I am not sure how well Albert (whatever
that is) output would meld with gccxml output. This might be an exercise
for another day.

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page