[cffi-devel] Re: [fetter-devel] Quick CFFI update

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 05:22:31 UTC 2005

Luis Oliveira wrote:

> On 5/jul/2005, at 03:52, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> Man, I am /really/ curious about the Actual Landscape. Here is one
>> gap: has the new killer CLisp FFI been ported to the Mac OS X version
>> yet? Though in that case i would not consider this a gap in
>> Hello-C/CFFI, since the old CLisp FFI was pretty weak and pretty much
>> asked for trouble (such as being left out of portable FFI projects).
>

> Heh, guess what, not only does clisp's ffi work on OSX (at least the
> CVS version), but it also passes all CFFI tests:

A little more precision is required. CFFI does not go thru an
implementation's exported, documented, high-level FFI, it goes thru
lower-level hooks used by that implementation's exported. documented,
supported FFI. Youse guys seem to have started referring to the
low-level, unexported, undocumented, unsopported, internal hooks as
"CLisp's FFI".

So whaddyawannado to make communication possible? Possibly we have three
FFIs: FFI/hi, FFI/lo (low-level but exported/supported), and
FFI/internals (unsupported).

I might think from your report and James's that CLisp had finished
porting its FFI/hi to OS X, but since CFFI does not go thru anybody's
FFI/hi I am guessing you mean a usable FFI/lo or FFI/internals was
always there to support CFFI. This, btw, would be a strong argument for
CFFI: even if CLisp is closing the FFI/hi gap, the fact remains that
CFFI would have made that effort unnecessary.

>> Come to think of it, that raises another question: does CFFI's
>> high-level API rock as well as CLisp's new FFI on win32 and Unix? I
>> am thinking of things like a lambda form being a Lisp callback from C.
>

> Not yet, I guess that's a goal though. At least for me.

I am not sure where I come down on this as a requirement. Without it,
some Lisps' native FFIs have at least some clear added value over CFFI.
But I had to offer a poor man's subsitute when I ported Cells-Gtk from
CLisp FFI to UFFI, using a scintilla of new syntax and some diabolical
macrology, and I do not feel much of the power of lambda qua callback
was lost.

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page