[fetter-devel] Quick CFFI update

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 4 20:00:59 UTC 2005

C Y wrote:

>--- Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>CFFI seems from a distance to be something for the open source
>>crowd. "commercial lisps" are left as an exercise.
>>

>This isn't too surprising, is it?

I am sorry. Exactly who are you? And what is your interest here? Your
comments are fine, but irrelevant to this discussion, which is why I ask.

CFFI is fine just the way it is. The relevant question is: can Luis
fulfill his commitment (a universal FFI) by extending CFFI, and what
does he buy by taking that route. You seem to like my guess as to what
he buys, but you, like me, seem to be speculating. The whole point of
this discussion is to stop speculating and start making concrete,
verifiable assertions of fact about CFFI and the path to true universality.

The last thing Common Lisp needs is another half-baked, non-portable,
and/or incomplete FFI. The whole point of these summer projects is to
give CL truly universal FFI and sockets, eliminating two huge complaints
interfering with more widespread acceptance and more useful open source:
what good is an open source package if it uses FFI and/or sockets, hence
only runs here and there?

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page