[fetter-devel] GCCXML -> UFFI tool

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jul 2 05:19:23 UTC 2005

Luis Oliveira wrote:

> Rayiner,
>
> In case you don't read Planet Lisp, here's a recent post that mentions
> a tool to generate UFFI bindings from GCCXML output:
>
>   http://www.cyrusharmon.org/cl/blog/display/24

And we have not even made formal announcements. When we do, looks like
we will discover even more related work. My advice?

 Take a look, contact the developer to see how active they are, and
figure out as efficiently as possible how much added value another
project brings, ask the community for its input (cll, PlanetLisp, Lisp
#IRC, etc).

Usually I can write something from scratch as fast as I can figure out
some one else's system, which probably will need modification or
extension, but now I am working on someone else's code, which may not be
as good and which I definitely need to learn before I even know if it is
any good. We could spend the whole summer looking at OPC (Other People's
Code).

It is great if we discover a gem of open source, but let's not spend the
summer chasing OPC in the hope of somehow saving time in spite of the
search and learning curve and probably repair/extension curve of OPC.

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page