[eurolisp] Looking for potential PhD students

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Tue Feb 1 17:21:46 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I have recently started to work at the Programming Technology Lab at
the Vrije Universiteit Brussel - see http://prog.vub.ac.be/ - as some
of you probably already know. ;)

If you have recently finished your master's or diploma thesis, or will
do so in the near future, and are looking for a Lisp-friendly
environment to start working on a PhD, please feel free to contact me
via email. There is a good chance that you can get a grant for working
here.

We are mostly interested in programming language design, but also touch
other subjects that are related (applications, software engineering,
etc.). Among other things, we are interested in various kinds of
metaprogramming, reflection, object models, metaobject protocols,
software evolution, aspect-oriented programming, etc. I am especially
interested in context-oriented programming, i.e. finding good
abstractions for making software behave differently according to the
context in which it is used.

Good knowledge of one or more Lisp dialects is a big plus, preferably
Common Lisp, ISLISP or Scheme. Knowledge of other dynamic languages,
like Smalltalk, Self, Prolog and other examples of those language
families is also a plus.

When you contact me, please tell me a little bit about yourself (max. 4
pages): What you have worked on for your master degree, what your
interests are, what you would like to work on in the future, and so on.
Please add a paragraph or two about some wild ideas that you have about
how programming should evolve in the future, or what computer science's
biggest mistakes in the past have been.

Cheers,
Pascal

--
If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the
shoulder of giants. - Isaac Newton