[eurolisp] Re: More parallel/concurrent stuff

Dirk Gerrits dirk at dirkgerrits.com
Tue Oct 19 22:26:19 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at synap.se> writes:

> Dirk Gerrits <dirk at dirkgerrits.com> writes:
>
> I'm told that *Lisp was a follow-on that was less ambitious but easier
> to implement on the Connection Machine. AFAIK *Lisp was used for real
> programming and CMLisp wasn't.

I see.

> There is a *Lisp simulator in Common Lisp in the CMU AI Repository,
> but I haven't looked at it closely.

Yeah me neither.  But perhaps I should, if only to see if there's
anything worth stea... borrowing for my own endeavors. ;)

> They also made a *C language.

:(  Kould we please abolish the See-family of languages and get bak to
Kommon Lisp? ;)

> P.S., I registered this list on Gmane as gmane.lisp.eurolisp.

Ah cool.

> (very excited to see Data Parallel style ride again. Maybe I'll get a
> chance to use it some day :-))

I second that emotion. :) Although for me, "excited to see Data Parallel
style ride again" really equates to being "excited that perhaps you
won't have to be actively searching anymore in order to find out that
there are other ways to do parallelism than with shared-memory and
locks".

Kind regards,

Dirk Gerrits