[eurolisp] Hi

Arthur Lemmens alemmens at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 18 22:56:13 UTC 2004

Hi,

Right now there are 78 subscribers to this list.

The main reason why we created this list is that many subscribers to
the Benelux, Cologne and Hamburg mailing lists subscribe to all three
lists and started to crosspost more and more often. In Amsterdam and
in Cologne we talked about creating a mailing list for all Lispers in
Europe, but nothing came out of it for a couple of months.  Until we
received another volley of triply (if that's not English, I'm sure
it's pan-European ;-) crossposted messages last week, and Pascal
Costanza suggested that we finally do something about it.  Mario
Mommer volunteered to create the mailing list on common-lisp.net, and
Tayssir John Gabbour and I volunteered to be the list admins.

So here we are.

My personal idea about this list is that it could be a useful channel
for:
 - announcing and discussing Lisp user group meetings that are taking
   place everywhere in Europe
 - announcing and discussing Lisp-related jobs, courses and anything
   else that may require face-to-face contact with Lispers 'in the
   neighbourhood' (as in "not more than a couple of hours by car, train
   or plane")
 - talking about Lisp with people you may have actually met in real
   life instead of just a bunch of strangers from all over the world.

But these are just my own ideas. I'd be interested in hearing yours as
well.

Arthur

P.S. About using languages other than English: we've been discussing
     this briefly on the Cologne mailing list, and even on that list
     we already had diverging opinions.  Personally, I love all kinds
     of language and all kinds of languages and I think it's fine if
     people use French, Finnish or even Dutch on this list. But I expect
     that not everybody will agree and we'll probably never reach a
     consensus on this. I suggest that we just wait and see what happens
     before making a problem out of this.