[erlang-in-lisp-devel] fare-match question

Robert Virding rvirding at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 22:18:46 UTC 2008

2008/6/4 Faré <fahree at gmail.com>:

> Nice presentation. Thanks a lot!

Thank you, thank you.

> Silly remarks:
> * in CL, bitvectors\ are like that: #*01110111
>   http://arti.vub.ac.be/docs/HyperSpec/Body/02_dhd.htm
>  I don't know whether they correspond to Erlang binary constants, but
> if they do, you may keep the same syntax (or not since CL ones are
> actually writeable).

In a sense I think they are the same. The main problem with using the CL
bitvector syntax is that binaries are usually much bigger, sometimes
mega-bytes.

> * instead of fletrec you might or not want to use labels. Now your
> lisp dialect will by definition be incompatible with any other
> dialect, so it probably doesn't matter too much.

I don't like the labels name and I am free to do as I want. :-) At least
until we are more people working on LFE, if that ever occurs.

> * for gensyms that work across upgrade of distributed code, if you're
> afraid of collisions, you might consider prepending the gensym'ed
> symbol name with the crypto hash of the module code being compiled.

That would work, but I don't really know how worried I am about the problem.
It was more a comment on that neither Scheme's hygiene and gensym are really
safe unless you use them as intended. We'll see what the users need.

Robert