[elephant-devel] inherited indices

Vassilis Radis radisb at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 09:29:57 UTC 2011

I think ideally this would be resolved with a new type of 'hierarchical'
> slot indices where instances will be indexed in many indices at once --
> when
> you make super-frob instance it will be indexed by frob-style both in
> super-frob and frob index (and, generally, in all super-classes). In this
> case get-instances-by-... semantics will be cleaner.
>

> But perhaps that would be rather hard to implement.

Why? I am by no means an expert and never looked thoroughly the code, but
,abstractly speaking, doesnt it boil down to just creating more indexes
automatically at class definition time?

> As a quick fix, maybe we can filter instances on get-instances-by-... or
> map-inverted-index level?
> These functions have information about actual class so filtering instances
> using type-of should be trivial.

Independently of the whole subject, I think this should be done anyway, and
it can be an optional param with a default for old behaviour for those who
want the whole pie. I think many people subtypep the results of get-instance
family funcs early in their projects.

Vassilis.