[elephant-devel] Why does an empty BDB repository take 40 MB?

Leslie P. Polzer sky at viridian-project.de
Wed Apr 21 08:51:46 UTC 2010

Ron Garret wrote:
> SLSIA.  I create a brand new BDB-backed elephant repository
> and it takes up 40MB of disk space.  Why?

Elephant creates some btrees as part of repository initialization.

What you're seeing is probably a combination of BDB log files (try to
invoke db_archive with the -d switch[1]) and preallocated disk space
(to avoid excessive fragmentation when the tree is filled).

That's an educated guess, I haven't looked at it.

  Leslie

[1]
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/api_reference/C/db_archive.html