[elephant-devel] How should I handle a controller-lost-error?

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Mon Oct 5 14:47:59 UTC 2009

> One last question, while I have your attention: I think I intend
> to have more than 1 process on the machine access the store
> concurrently; but I assume that's no more dangerous than having
> multiple threads doing so; and Berkeley DB should be able to
> take care of itself and protect the integrity of the store against
> multiple simultaneous writers.  I may have to set some magic
> locking flags when opening the environment, but that should be
> about it.  Is that your understanding also?

So long as you follow Leslie's suggestion, multiple process locking is
fully supported by BDB (via a shared memory region managed by the
library).  If you want to do something like this across multiple
machines, you'll need to use the slower, but more scalable Postmodern
store.

> Anybody else do this?  Anyone seen any mysterious crashes?
>
> I greatly (greatly!) appreciate your answers, not to mention
> the wonderful elephant package.  It feels a lot more solid than
> when I last looked at it a couple of years ago.  Thanks!

 From a casual user's standpoint, I think it's in pretty good shape; I
use it for customer facing projects quite reliably.  From a software
engineering standpoint, the last 10% of feature tuning, code cleanup,
and documentation is going to be a bear to get done for 1.0!