[elephant-devel] memutil.lisp breaks compile

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Sat Nov 7 22:17:21 UTC 2009

Quoth Henrik Hjelte <henrik at evahjelte.com>:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cffi-devel@common-lisp.net/msg01656.html

This link appears to be broken (404 Not Found).

Was it intended to point to this conversation:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.cffi.devel/1720

by chance?

> If there is a problem compiling it is usually because a version of cffi
> pretends to be uffi, and the cffi developers refuses to fix this.

Opinion is divided.  To name but a few:

Jeff Cunningham and Hans Hübner think it should be renamed.

Luís Olivera and Daniel Herring think it's best left as it is.

Luís is concerned about breaking things that depend on (or at least benefit
from) his kludge (no offence intended).  Daniel Herring makes the point that
hijacking names to provide upgarde/compatibility layers is a time-honoured
tradition.

In my humble opinion, hijacking names works for comprehensive drop-in
replacements based on consensus amongst parties.  CFFI is clearly not a
comprehensive drop-in replacement for UFFI and there's clearly no consensus on
the issue.  I'm therefore in favour of changing the name.

Can't packages that 'use' UFFI (but really use CFFI) be easily updated like so:

 sed -i~ 's/\<uffi\>\(::\?\)/cffi\1/g' *.lisp

> If this is the case, you might want to remind them to fix this on their
> mailing list.

Cross-posted to cffi-devel.

Regarding the original subject, elephant now compiles, but not when using
clbuild's recompile command.

 $ ./clbuild clean elephant
 $ ./clbuild recompile elephant
 [...]
 WARNING:
    COMPILE-FILE warned while performing
    #<COMPILE-OP (:VERBOSE NIL) {10036E8E81}> on
    #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "memutil" {100399B3A1}>.
 unhandled ASDF:COMPILE-FAILED in thread #<SB-THREAD:THREAD "initial thread"
  RUNNING {100361EDE1}>:
   erred while invoking #<COMPILE-OP (:VERBOSE NIL) {10036E8E81}> on
   #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "memutil" {100399B3A1}>

However, if I issue the command again the same warning is issued but about a
different file (serializer2.lisp) so it's nothing to do with memutil.lisp per
se.

Seb
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.