[elephant-devel] BDB Replication

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Mon Jan 5 21:52:38 UTC 2009

What confused me is that the documentation FAQ says that it doesn't
forward updates to the master and that this is the responsibility of
the application.  However, it doesn't indicate where update message
are produced...

If it is simply a matter of forwarding low level messages, then this
is actually somewhat reasonable to implement.  The communications
consists of registering a callback function in lisp from the BDB
library that sends and receives packets to/from the master.
Alternatively, we could have C functions implement the callbacks and
socket IO that BDB needs a callback into and thus avoid the chain of
conversions foreign bytes->lisp bytes->lisp stream->foreign bytes-
 >network.

The steps would be:
- Change the way DBs are opened
- Add some code to start or respond to election events
- Add the communications support
   - Socket IO
   - BDB API callbacks and configuration

I won't be doing this anytime soon, but if someone wants to figure out
the BDB side of this and particularly the callbacks/comm layer I can
help integrate it into elephant.

Ian