[elephant-devel] Choice of back-end store

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Sat Jan 3 12:55:09 UTC 2009

Hi Yarek,

Others may add to this, but the big issues I'm aware of are:

BDB
+ fast
+ can be shared among multiple processes on a single machine
- commercial use requires license

Postmodern
- 5x slower than BDB (last I checked)
++ can be shared among multiple machines
+ open source

Neither system allows you to easily bypass the elephant
representational framework.  I'll let others comment on this vis-a-vis
postmodern.

You can use both system's tools for archive, recover, duplication, etc.

Ian