[elephant-devel] Elephant in Production and the Elephant 1.0 Release

Sebastian Tennant sebyte at smolny.plus.com
Mon Dec 7 13:36:51 UTC 2009

Quoth Ian Eslick <eslick at media.mit.edu>:
> :: Appeal below for help on 1.0 ::
>
> There is plenty of opportunity for small efforts from volunteers (1-3 hour
> chunks) that would greatly accelerate the release cycle.  If you write to me
> directly, I'd be willing to put together a 'punchlist' of small projects
> along these lines that would help.  If we get 5 or more people to volunteer
> to do a few of these, I'll commit to the core work necessary to wrap up the
> release (and hopefully Leslie will help too!)

I'll help when I can but I'm afraid my contributions will be sporadic, and not
exactly constructive.  The best I can really do is to identify bugs in the
manual.  Here are a few such bugs I've identified already:

 (info "(elephant) Berkeley DB")

   "Elephant only works with version 4.5 of Berkeley DB."

 (info "(elephant) The Store Root")

   "...'class root' will be discussed later..." - the two-word
   phrase 'class root' never occurs again.

 (info "(elephant) Class Indices")

   "See src/elephant/classindex-utils.lisp" - doesn't exist
   "Variable *default-indexed-class-synch-policy*" - doesn't exist

Hope this helps (a little).

> On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Shaneal Manek wrote:
>>
>> I just wanted to quickly let everyone know that I'm using elephant in
>> production on my start up (http://postabon.com).

I'm a little confused as to how to post a Bon.  I want to pinpoint a restaurant
in Istanbul, called Lades but there's no 'Place Pin' tool and what's the point
of providing the resaurant name and saying it's near 'Me' when all the info you
have on my location is the latitude and longditude of my ISP's servers?

In fact, I can't post my Bon it just says "you must select a location" but with
the map hovering over the location of the restaurant there's no easy way of
doing that.

>> Thanks to everyone here for creating such a great piece of open source
>> software. In particular, Ian Eslick and Leslie Polzer were very
>> helpful answering my newbie questions and helping me get off the
>> ground. But the whole elephant team has my eternal gratitude ;-)

Seconded.

Seb
--
Emacs' AlsaPlayer - Music Without Jolts
Lightweight, full-featured and mindful of your idyllic happiness.