[elephant-devel] gp-export

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Sun Apr 26 11:48:07 UTC 2009

>> However, for now gp-export does not back up whole store -- it only
>> iterates
>> through all objects
>> it finds in index and dumps them together with all their slots etc.
>> It is
>> such because it was meant
>> to be working with various stores. (But it supports only elephant/
>> postmodern
>> so far.)
>
> Hmm... but it will walk all class indices of the store?

The manual defines reachability as:
1) All instances in the class indices
2) All objects in the root tree
3) All objects pointed to by objects in #1 and #2

The root btree may contain an array which then points to standard
objects.  All should be copied.
References from arrays, standard objects, etc to persistent objects
should also be retained.

Does gp-export handle arrays and other aggregates, reference integrity
and circularity detection?

>>   Should it be somehow bundled with elephant or maintained
>> separately?
>
> It depends on how well its components are separated from each other.
>
> If the Elephant-specific parts can be separated easily from the rest
> then we should put up the latter.

I suspect that a proper solution is likely to be elephant-specific.
If it is used and useful for other lisp-based OODBs then I see no
reason it shouldn't be maintained separately and made a dependency for
elephant.

>>   Are there people who'd like to hack it to add support for different
>> stuff?

I might for my own tasks.