[elephant-devel] Database trouble

Aslak Gronflaten aslakg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 07:23:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've been using elephant 0.91 for quite a while now, with a berkeley 4.6
backend, and it's been a joy.
First of all my thanks to all contributors on this project!
Recently however, as usage has gone up, some problems have started occuring.
One big problem has been that when I run (get-instances-by-class 'foo) I get
a list of foo, but with some nil's occuring as well.
Is this a sign of database corruption? How do I remedy this? I've tried
running both the recover and checkpoint tools on the db, but no change.
I've experienced deadlocks as well, and had to kill my sbcl - wondering if
that (non clean shutdown) is what caused the problems in the first place.
Or is this something to do with indexes - could they be remade somehow?  I
defined my foo class like this:

  (DEFPCLASS FOO ()
    ((FIELD1 :ACCESSOR FIELD1 :INITARG :FIELD1 :INITFORM NIL :INDEX T)
     (FIELD2 :ACCESSOR FIELD2 :INITARG :FIELD2 :INITFORM NIL :INDEX
         NIL)
     (FIELD2 :ACCESSOR FIELD2 :INITARG :FIELD2 :INITFORM NIL :INDEX
         NIL))
    (:INDEX T))
  (DEFUN GET-FOO-LIST () (GET-INSTANCES-BY-CLASS 'FOO))
  (DEFUN GET-FOO-BY-FIELD1 (DB::VALUE)
    (GET-INSTANCE-BY-VALUE 'FOO 'FIELD1 DB::VALUE)))

Appreciate any help,
   Aslak