[elephant-devel] Class Heirarchies and Queries

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 05:02:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 7:20 AM, Ian Eslick <eslick at media.mit.edu> wrote:

> There is an :inherit slot keyword option for indexed slots.  It causes
> subclasses of the defining class to share the index of the base class.  You
> can inhibit subclass sharing by re-defining the slot in the base class.  I
> found a bug in unstable and patched it so this works again.

This looks like what I need. Unfortunately I can't seem to compile the
necessary C files to run elephant-unstable. Even when I copy the "gcc ..."
command into cygwin and compile manually, I still get this when I try to use
the resultant dll file:

$ gcc -mno-cygwin -mwindows -Wall -c -std=c99 "c:\Program
Files\asdf\elephant-unstable\src\memutil\libmemutil.c" -o "c:\Program
Files\asdf\elephant-unstable\src\memutil\libmemutil.dll"

Error opening shared object "c:\\Program
Files\\asdf\\elephant-unstable\\src\\memutil\\libmemutil.dll":
  5.
   [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

Can anyone who works regularly with Windows give me advice on compiling
these dependencies? Thanks.

Calling map-inverted-index (and the top-level API fn's
> get-instances-by-value/range) from the base or subclasses will return
> instances for all classes that share that base index.  We could add some
> refinements such as mapping from a subclass filters out any superclass
> instances during the traversal.
>
> We can easily add a keyword arg to map-class and get-instances-by-class to
> return all subclass instances as well.

These might be useful as well, but I won't need them immediately (and I've
got more pressing concerns anyways).

--
Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - Frank
Herbert