[elephant-devel] Elephant backend performance characteristics

Christoph Ludwig ludwig at fh-worms.de
Tue Oct 28 10:35:05 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'd like to know if people on the list have experience with the performance
characteristics of the available backends for elephant. I am not asking for
detailed measurements and performance differences of few percent but typical
usage patterns where you can predict that one backend will likely outperform
the others.

Background: Our application that makes heavy use of elephant/bdb and the
association feature in the unstable branch is too slow by at least one order
of magnitude. We obviously need to profile it first before we start any
refactoring or changing the elephant configuration, and most likely we will
find that our application code used for the data import uses an inefficient
algorithm. But it might be helpful for interpreting the profile data when we
have some background knowledge about the performance characteristics one can
expect from elephant and its various backends.

Thanks

Christoph

--
FH Worms - University of Applied Sciences
Fachbereich Informatik / Telekommunikation