[elephant-devel] Ditching Darcs

Elliott Slaughter elliottslaughter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 20:15:20 UTC 2008

2008/10/22 Henrik Hjelte <henrik at evahjelte.com>

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Leslie P. Polzer <
> sky at viridian-project.de> wrote:
>

>> At least one revision from stable produces a non-trivial
>> merge in unstable.
>>
>> That would be a good opportunity to change revision control
>> systems.
>>
>> If no one objects I'd do it with Mercurial and then upload
>> the resulting repository to Bitbucket.
>>

> I would prefer that we wait with changing revision control system.
>
> Darcs 2 has solved most of darcs problems, and the darcs
> developers are working hard with improving the performance and
> with windows support.

I've been bugging the cl.net admins to upgrade to darcs 2 for a couple of
months now. Maybe if people here leveraged their support, they might finally
do something about that upgrade.

Currently, for my own projects on cl.net, I have a personal installation of
darcs 2 in ~/bin (with a modified ~/.profile to add this directory to PATH),
and my repos are all darcs 2 format. It works fairly well, although because
of some other configuration issues I can't push directly (that is, on cl.net,
bash doesn't read ~/.bashrc on startup, so I can't alter PATH for
noninteractive logins).

And I am working on a possibly great new Lisp cpan killer that is
> based on darcs 2.

Or maybe your new site will solve this issue. Either way, I think darcs 2 is
a viable option.

It will have these features:

> Automated testing of Lisp-projects cross os and cross implementation.
> Based on Darcs 2.
> Support for cvs, git, mercurial and tarballs as "imports" using tailor.
> Easy install of all lisp libraries.
> Easy update of lisp libraries.
> Possibility to have several forks of the same library locally.
>
> You can generate one file ("project-state") that describes the exact
> patches that a project uses, including dependencies. This file can be used
> as a "last known good" file, so if a patch to project B breaks project A
> (detected by automated testing), you can still install Project A. It is just
> that the last patch to Project B will not be used for project A. But you can
> still upgrade your local Project B to the latest version.
>
> I am almost finished for a first release, but I am only hacking on it for
> max 40 mins each day (on the bus). So you can call it vapourware for a
> while..
>
> /Henrik Hjelte

Elliott Slaughter

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - Frank
Herbert