[elephant-devel] Backend and data retrieval questions

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Wed Oct 22 18:48:34 UTC 2008

As a storage server or as an rpc?

It would actually be pretty complex for persistent objects unless you
had replication implemented (which no one to my knowledge has done
with BDB+Elephant) because in the most straightforward implementation
you would have to have the same persistent ids and slot values on both
machines to pass persistent references back and forth and to avoid
network traffic on slot access.

You could do something like Robert's DCM where you 'checked out'
objects from the central server and could do RPC calls back to update
or to transform a given object.  This usage model might not be as hard
to implement.

Ian