[elephant-devel] Time-boxed releases

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Mon May 26 18:49:25 UTC 2008

Hi Leslie,

I'd be open to a time-driven release process, but perhaps on a longer
timeframe.  A proper Elephant release is actually quite a chore, given
the 36 permutations of lisp + data store + OS that we support.

Also developer time is highly variable and the rate of change outside
of one of the major overhauls we just went through isn't that high
(bug fixes, small feature enhancements).  If we allowed 8 weeks for
small fixes to accumulate, then split the branches into incremental
release & development branch we could reliably have quarterly
incremental releases.  We could move up the schedule to accommodate,
for example, a major bug fix or feature addition.

Thoughts?

Ian