[elephant-devel] Lisp Btrees: design considerations

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Fri May 16 22:54:35 UTC 2008

I don't disagree with you that it's easy to create expensive/slow
programs.  My only point was that when it matters, it doesn't
necessarily have to be a determinative issue.

The big overheads in Elephant are due to Lisp's data model and the use
of the MOP.  The serializer is currently designed for safety and
generality across lisps with reasonable, but not completely optimal
performance (since the whole point is dealing with the implementation
of the lisp data model, doing well would require specializing on each
lisp's internal data representation so I can just do byte copies
rather than using the general indirection apis).  The code is there;
perhaps I should selective re-enable the optimizations for SBCL...

Perhaps these points underscore your argument about the overhead of
Lisp.  It is more work to write fast programs in lisp because
performance is at odds from the common idioms.  Other languages, like
C, make it easy to write efficient programs, but much harder to write
programs quickly as well as to maintain large programs.  There is no
free lunch, as my physicists friends are fond of saying.

I was curious where the time was going in the example.  The
deserializer creates fresh strings of type 'character.  Aren't
characters 4 bytes in unicode SBCL?  That would mean you're handling
8M bytes and for 4M bytes of data it produced 2M bytes of garbage
(probably all consing in the test framework).  Allegro uses UTF-16 so
the same test is only 2MBytes of total string input.  I'm not sure
where the 25% overhead came from though.

The time cost is still surprising though.

ELE-USER> (time (dotest (truncate (* 1000 1000) (length *teststring*))
*teststring*))
; cpu time (non-gc) 140 msec user, 0 msec system
; cpu time (gc)     0 msec user, 0 msec system
; cpu time (total)  140 msec user, 0 msec system
; real time  151 msec
; space allocation:
;  228,879 cons cells, 2,516,384 other bytes, 0 static bytes
NIL
ELE-USER>

About half of the memory overhead is consing in dotimes, etc.
However, notice that it didn't trigger a GC. Even when the GC runs, it
isn't a significant cause of time overhead.  Calling free to malloc a
bunch is also a little expensive...

Cheers,
Ian

PS - There was also an ill-conceived safety check that crept into the
serializer recently which accounts for about half of the time in the
example.  I'll have to think about why it is there.