[elephant-devel] Quick hack for lisp backend.

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Wed May 14 16:41:42 UTC 2008

I just spent some time, with the context of this discussion, review
the very excellent rucksack code base.  I think that most of the
facilities needed by our datastore are quite congruent with what
Arthur did to implement his system.

If we really want to get going fast, we should start by building a
datastore out of the rucksack btree - but not necessarily buy into his
full object model (although he has schemas, a similar MOP
implementation, indexing, etc).

The system has an all-lisp serializer, an object cache, a persistent
heap, etc that should all work pretty well with the Elephant MOP and
object model.  You might even be able to use the transaction subsystem
- it is based on a similar versioning scheme to the one I provided,
but I don't know enough about it to know for sure how congruent it is.

The extensions we'd need to make to this, at least, are multi-process
support and perhaps changes to the versioning model to handle the slot-
level persistence notion in elephant?

Let me know if you look into this, I'd be happy to review the code and
make some suggestions for what can be reused from that code base and
how it would play into the rest of the elephant system.