[elephant-devel] Clbuild

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Wed May 14 05:46:51 UTC 2008

Dear Bryan and Team,
	I have now removed the explicit load of cl-sql (I think) and put an
sbcl pragma around an explicit depend in both the "elephant" darcs
branch and the "elephant-unstable" darcs branch.

	I observe the following comments in the CLBUILD wnpp-projects file,
which you mentioned:

# endless problems:
#  - doesn't build at all without a user-written my-config.sexp
#  - needs sb-posix, but doesn't declare that dependency, meaning that
#    it doesn't build even with a config file
#  - ele-clsql loads clsql from the .asd file, not using :depends-on,
#    which is completely unacceptable
#    (we blacklist ele-clsql in clbuild.lisp because of that)
elephant         get_darcs http://www.common-lisp.net/project/elephant/darcs/elephant

... so it is possible that the second and third problem are solved from your point of view.

However, the first problem may require some creativity.

It seems to me the best we could hope for is to modify our build to use our standard template,
"config.sexp", if my-config.sexp doesn't exist, and blare a warning that you probably should
understand and set those defaults yourself.  If we did that, perhaps on most systems (85%) it
would build, but it will remain fragile (not least of all to new revisions of BDB).
It might build more reliably for a CL-SQL backend or a postmodern backend, but of course you
can't use those systems without knowing at least that your have to have postgres and run "createdb test",
for example.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution?