[elephant-devel] Some thoughts/Questions from testing

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Mon May 12 00:01:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 19:50 -0400, Glenn Tarcea wrote:
> What do you all think about allowing two different versions of
> Elephant to be installed at the same time? I tried to have both my
> original version of Elephant installed and also to install elephant-
> unstable. Currently there are a lot of dependencies on the system
> name sprinkled throughout the code that prevent this. My thought
> would be to allow someone to do a (require 'elephant-unstable) (or
> some other chosen system name) and have it load an alternative
> version of Elephant. All the package names would stay the same, just
> the systems would be different.

I think this could be very nice for the reasons you mention.  I
personally don't know how to do it.  I suspect any workable solution
would have to be an asdf-based solution, not just using 'requre.

> The benefit to this is it would allow users to test out the new
> functionality before deciding to switch, and for testers, it would
> mean we could have both versions installed. It seems like this would
> be helpful right now when the BerkeleyDB interfaces have stabilized,
> but the postmodern interface hasn't. For me it would allow me to test
> and observe behavior in the old environment and then easily switch
> over to the new environment.
>
> If no one objects I can look into this further, at least drawing up a
> plan of attack and posting it for comment.

I think it is definitely worth trying to figure out how to do it.
However, an added complication is that any objects created are created
under a certain version, which may not be readable by another version.
Ian has objectified this with his "schema numbering" for classes in
elephant-unstable.

The idea situation is that Elephant version N+K can read any Elephant
object written by version N.  I think we are moving toward that
capability.

However, even if one version can't read another version, being able to
have two distinct packages in one image could be useful---I encourage
you to spend some time thinking through how it might work.

> Also, it looks like the testing framework is being migrated over to
> 5am. I assume this means that I should write any new tests using 5am?

Yes --- I believe we are already completely dependent on 5am for
testing.