[elephant-devel] Staus of the port of Ian's new functional to CL-SQL backend....

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Sat May 3 22:04:51 UTC 2008

Dear Team,
	At the moment, as Ian has mentioned, the next major release is
dependent on the porting of a big chunk of new functionality that he has
written to the CL-SQL and Postmodern backends.  I think it is worth a
status report on that.

	I have spent a total of 24 hours of work on it.  Unfortunately, only 8
of those were in one block, due to personal time constraints.  I have a
draft of a solution, which is green except for 15 tests, mostly red
around the "association" stuff.  However, my solution really needs to be
cleaned up before it should be checked in; I was doing a lot of "hack
and slash" exploratory programming to get it to work.

	As I think Ian mentioned in an email, the work really boils down to do
issues:  implementing some new slots on the controller (easy) and
implementing a new kind of btree that supports duplicates (hard).  Since
Postmodern uses the same kind of cursor control that the CL-SQL backend
does, the CL-SQL port and the postmodern port will have at least 50%
overlap in the work.  I suspect that Alex can do it more qickly than I
did; however I would be a little surprised if anyone could do it all in
two hours, although the number of lines of code needed to accomplish it
all is pretty small.

	I have actually finally cleared my calendar to work on this tonight and
tomorrow; if I can get a clean solution checked in, I suspect that it
would be a good guide to Alex, and might allow him to get it done pretty
quickly.  An ideal solution might be for Alex to wait until I can commit
something to elephant-unstable and then look at that.

	Of course, I wouldn't dissuade Alex from looking at it now---it might
be that he can get it done faster than I can, and then I will get the
benefit of his work.

	I apologize for keeping people waiting; I have a full-time job and some
family medical problems.  We have have planned a little too much for
this release; perhaps in the future we should aim more for a time-box
style of release management.