[elephant-devel] Re: Updated version of last Postmodern patch bundle

Alex Mizrahi killerstorm at newmail.ru
Tue Mar 18 14:04:21 UTC 2008

 LPP>>> Can you elaborate on that? Seems complicated...
 ??>> retry-cleanup-fn? it's actually pretty simple -- it gives application
 ??>> ability to hook it's code just before restarting transaction.
 ??>> this way application can do custom cleanup.

 LPP> But how is this related to the txn isolation level?

retry handling was not implemented because there was very little need for
retries in absense of concurrent conflicts (pgsql does not signal those
conflicts if you're using default read commited isolation level).
theoretically we could get a deadlock, but it only happens if application
updates object in different order, and this can be avoided.

also, we have a race condition in update-or-insert implementation, but this
could be avoided either via savepoints, or via locking.

so, we could live without transaction retrying unless we really need
serializable isolation level.