[elephant-devel] Re: Duplicate values in PM-BTREE-INDEX

Alex Mizrahi alex.mizrahi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 13:21:02 UTC 2008

> Why make the index unique when the btree allows duplicates?

in normal btrees keys are unique.
in btrees-with-duplicates key+value pairs are unique.

that's the idea. for normal btrees we create index on keys only, for dup-btrees
-- index on pairs.

allowing duplicated key+value pairs will totally break the way cursor works,
because they assume that key+value pair identifies current row. (and perhaps it
will break some other things, like remove-kv-pair).

it's possible to implement duplicated pairs support, but that's pretty hard,
and i don't see any practical reason for this.

> This breaks inverted indices with duplicate values.

it does not. value->oid pairs are always unique.