[elephant-devel] Re: unstable postmodern troubled..

Ian Eslick eslick at media.mit.edu
Tue Jun 3 13:40:44 UTC 2008

End of June would be great - I think it's a bit of a stretch since I'm
sure there are likely to be various issues cropping up.

I think that feature-wise we're ready for a 1.0, but in terms of
documentation, use-cases, stability, etc. I'm inclining towards an
intermediate release or two indicating that we're close so perhaps
1.0beta1 or 0.9.9?

Major feature development should be moved to a separate branch at
release time.

I'm also not inclined to promise a query system for 1.0.  To do a
proper job I believe will require some additional changes to core
functionality (although hopefully not the data stores or DB) such as
keeping rough statistics over btree accesses for a query planner,
etc.  I don't want to rush it.

So here's a proposal:
- Feature-freeze the current branch
- Focus entirely on testing and documentation through the end of June.
- Ensure that we've field tested the 0.9.1->1.0beta1 upgrade

- At the end of June, subject to Robert and I agreeing, we
   release a 1.0beta1 and fork a branch for post 1.0 features

- We'll keep pushing on testing, etc and do monthly 1.0betaX
   releases until we're happy.

Ian