[elephant-devel] Backend musings

Leslie P. Polzer leslie.polzer at gmx.net
Fri Feb 29 10:45:27 UTC 2008

I have been thinking about new backend possibilities, and
would like to know your opinion.

Tokyo Cabinet would require us to write a FFI for it.
I don't know what it does to prevent deadlocks; probably
nothing, as I have looked at its B tree code and have
found just mutexes without any special handling
whatsoever.

Using Tokyo Tyrant, a server interface to a TC db,
would have the same locking problems (if there are any,
I'm going to ask the author for more clarification),
a slight performance hit and possibly a less convoluted
glueing code than the FFI solution. Plus, one could
offload the storage to another machine, of course.

Then there would be the possibility of using the
B+Trees provided by CL-CONTAINERS. This would
be a Lisp base upon which one could build upon,
layering transactions and file storage above.

What do you think?

  Leslie