[elephant-devel] Next issue, this time with Postmodern backend

Robert L. Read read at robertlread.net
Thu Feb 28 03:47:32 UTC 2008

Dear Leslie,
	Thank you for this patch.  I will try to test it by this weekend,
unless Ian wants to.

	However, if you will forgive me being dogmatic, it would be even better
if this had a test case with it.  For example, I don't think we have any
good examples of producing lots of threads and whacking Elephant with
them simultaneously.  Such a test would both inspire confidence, and
show people how Elephant can be used.

	I'm imagining something that spins up 100 simultaneous threads and does
something to elephant from within each thread.  Following the mantra
"red, green, refactor", it would be lovely to see things seize up and
then see that your patch fixes it.  It would also be a starting point
for other concurrency related tests in the future. (It might be useful
for the CL-SQL guys, as well.)

	Would it take you a long time to produce a test that demonstrated the
failure?  I don't want to abuse your excellent work by asking more of
you, but every bug is an opportunity for a new and deeper test.