[elephant-devel] BDB vs postmodern

lists at infoway.net lists at infoway.net
Thu Feb 21 02:47:35 UTC 2008

Well, this is certainly interesting, since this would allow me to
decouple the storage system from the lisp environment allowing the
possibility of setting up a cluster of lisp machines to handle
application logic. Isn't there a way to achieve this on BDB?

We prefer to deploy our systems on clusters of "inexpensive" machines
in order to leverage hardware failures and it seems that scalability
of BDB/Lisp applications is achieved by scaling a single machine.

Now, postmodern being 4x slower could be an issue. However, how does
that compare to a regular CL-SQL and relational queries is a different
story. If postmodern is about the same speed as hitting Postgres with
CL-SQL and just using plain SQL instead of elephant, at the end of the
day, that's the performance our users are getting anyway :)

Thanks,
Waldo