[elephant-devel] QDBM Support

John DeSoi desoi at pgedit.com
Fri Feb 15 03:34:04 UTC 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 8:54 PM, Robert L. Read wrote:

> In order to deploy with Postgres you will have to write a script to
> create the db with the correct name.  That is all that you will have
> do, in order to have a system that technically runs.

Even if PostgreSQL is already on the target system, it is a bit more
complicated than that. You have to create the database cluster (initdb
utility) before you can create any databases. It can be done, but
PostgreSQL is designed from the ground up to be a server database, not
an embedded database.

> There may be long-term administrative tasks, such as executing
> "vacuum"
> to clean up indexes on a periodic basis.  You might be able to code
> this
> into your application.  I don't think it would ever keep something
> from
> working, but it might slow things down after months of use.

All relatively recent versions of PostgreSQL have auto vacuum enabled,
so this is generally not something you'll have to worry about.

> It is possible that SQLite3 might even be better for you; I am not
> terribly familiar with it.  I know that is is much simpler than
> PostGres
> and faster, though less "industrial" in its feature set.

Much simpler, but faster is debatable.

SQLite seems like it would be the ideal database for this project
since it is easy to embed in an application and has no license
hassles. I don't really know anything about BDB, but I'm surprised the
performance of a properly indexed SQL database can't get close to it.
If the performance with SQLite is poor, has it been verified to be
only a SQLite issue and not something related to CLSQL?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.